Kelly’s kids love this with milk and fruit for a quick and easy breakfast.
A HEALTHY MORNING TREAT MAKES FOR A “HAPPY DAY”.
Kelly’s kids love this with milk and fruit for a quick and easy breakfast. It’s also delicious mixed with vanilla yogurt. Another option (kudos to Debbie’s brother, John for the tip) is to mix the granola with a tablespoon of peanut butter for a satisfying snack. Any way you serve it…it’s good stuff.
Yield 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- Cinnamon to taste
- 8 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups chopped nuts (we used 1 cup walnuts, 1/2 cup pecans & 1/2 cup hazelnuts, but anything goes!)
- 1-2 cups raisins and/or other dried fruit of choice (we add raisins after baking, but prefer to add coconut flakes before baking to get them toasted!)
- Preheat oven to 275F
- Combine brown sugar and water in a 4 cup microwave safe glass bowl and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add Vanilla and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine oats, nuts, and brown sugar syrup mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon (and we added coconut at this point) and stir.
- Spread granola onto 2 cookie sheets and bake 45-60 minutes until golden brown and crunchy. When mixture comes out of the oven it is still very pliable. You may choose to add dried fruit at this point.
- When granola has completely cooled, store in an airtight container….of course, we choose our beloved mason jars.